Monday, January 27, 2014

"Story Telling" 



Since its beginning hip-hop music has been a way for artist to tell a story. This is not the case with all rappers, because as we know small talk about girls, sex and drugs does not make for a very good story. When rappers tell a story through their music it often has a lesson or message attached to it. The real meaning, like any great story, is often subliminal and will be understood after the song is listened to a few times. However there are many songs that tell a straightforward story. Those are the cases when rappers are just speaking what’s on their mind. There are many great rappers who are known for good story telling. Eminem, Biz Markie, Public Enemy, Notorious BIG, Slick Rick and Drake are just a few of the many rappers who tell stories through their songs. In addition to the lyrics telling a story, the music video it self plays a huge role in storytelling and hip-hop. Granted the meaning of the song can still be clearly understood without a video, but a good video always adds to the affect/meaning the artist is trying to get across.

In his hit “Runaway Love” Ludacris gives the account of different girls who are all around the same age and dealing with the struggles of where they live and go to school. The song revolves around these girls growing up in the hood and having to deal with parents who weren’t around to raise them thus causing their poor decisions and lack of feeling loved, which lead them to find love elsewhere i.e. Boys.  Ludacris writes,
So she pops X to get rid of all the pain
Plus she's having sex with a boy who's sixteen
Emotions run deep and she thinks she's in love
So there's no protection he's using no glove
Never thinking 'bout the consequences of her actions
Living for today and not tomorrow's satisfaction”

His lyrics tell a great story with incredible detail.



All of Eminem’s music tells a story. Many disagree with his rapping style because of how harsh and straightforward he tends to be, but that is what makes him a great storyteller. His songs are deep. Like one of my friends mentioned, “He’s not someone you listen to when you’re in a happy mood.” His music reflects a lot of his life and the shit he’s been through. He always mentions his daughter and sometimes his ex- wife. One of his most famous songs, “Stan”,  that sends the message ‘respect your fans,’ is about a fan who wants to get his attention by writing letters to him, but he never receives an answer from Eminem. Eventually when Eminem decides to answer him it’s too late.  Likewise, in his hit song “Mockingbird” Eminem is addressing his daughter. The song begins with the words, “Hallie I know you miss your mom and I know you miss your dad when I’m gone, but I’m trying to give you that life that I never had.” This all relates back to his life growing up. Eminem never grew up in a stable home. He had many problems and has found his relief in talking about it through his music. He chooses to tell a little more of his story in every song that he writes.



One of my favorite artists is Drake. It goes without say that just like the two rappers mentioned before and those alike that are not mentioned; he also tells a story through his music. Specifically in his new song “Furthest Thing,” Drake is targeting an audience who believes he has changed as a person since he has become famous.  Drake says,  “I still been drinkin' on the low
Mobbin' on the low
 Fuckin' on the low
 Smokin' on the low 
I still been plottin' on the low
 Schemin' on the low
 The furthest thing from perfect Like everyone I know
He wants his audience to understand that He is still the same as he was before despite the fact that he now has money.



Rappers have found their escape and a way to speak their mind through music. The stories they tell are in songs that we listen to on a daily basis. They deserve our support when it comes to hearing what they have to say. Cause after all who wouldn’t want their story to be heard?



(Raggenius.com) (blogspot.com/meaningbehindthemusic)
(A-Zlyrics.com)

22 comments:

  1. Rappers tell stories through their music because it's a way for them to vent. Everyone in the world does something different to vent their emotions and feelings, so rappers spit their feelings in their songs. And like you said, this doesn't happen all the time because some hip hop contains meaningless messages.I also believe that some rappers talk about things that they don't actual experience int their stories within their songs. Like Lil' Wayne or Rick Ross.They still make for good songs and catchy hooks but it kind of sucks knowing that they're not really authentic.

    I definitely agree with your blog though. All of Biggie's songs contain a story that allows you to see deeper into their life and that's why i love to just sit back and listen to his lyrics. The same goes for Eminem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The examples you have really emphasized how Rap music can be used to tell a story, and can be theraputic to both the artist and the audience who is listening. Runaway Love is, in my opnion, one of the saddest songs ever-part of it is because the raw truth that Ludacris and Mary J. Blige sing about. Same thing goes with some of Eminems songs, although they're not necessarily sad its hard not to feel sympathy towards him. At the end of the day, rappers want their voice and story to be heard-whether thats them rapping about something as silly as waking up in cars, making it rain at a nightclub, or drinking champaign-or something thats touching like P.Diddys memorial song to Biggie "I'll Be Missing You" or Jay-Z's "Ghetto Anthem".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Music, especially rap, is a tool for expressing what cannot be expressed sufficiently otherwise. I love the examples you gave during your post as well. I can relate more with Eminem and his work due to my personal preference. Yes, some rappers decided to have subliminal messages throughout their songs, but I love when rappers just blatantly say what they are feeling and are authentic. It allows the audience to connect better with the message the artist is trying to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Music, especially rap, is a tool for expressing what cannot be expressed sufficiently otherwise. I love the examples you gave during your post as well. I can relate more with Eminem and his work due to my personal preference. Yes, some rappers decided to have subliminal messages throughout their songs, but I love when rappers just blatantly say what they are feeling and are authentic. It allows the audience to connect better with the message the artist is trying to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Music, especially rap, is a tool for expressing what cannot be expressed sufficiently otherwise. I love the examples you gave during your post as well. I can relate more with Eminem and his work due to my personal preference. Yes, some rappers decided to have subliminal messages throughout their songs, but I love when rappers just blatantly say what they are feeling and are authentic. It allows the audience to connect better with the message the artist is trying to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this post. You did a great job! You hit it right on the head. I love when rappers raps about a story. It shows that they are human and go/went through things like us. I feel like it is a way for them to get closer with their fans on a deeper level and let their fans know whats up. I love the song runaway love by ludacris because girls actually go through things he raps about in that song and by young girls listening to the song they probably will realize not to grow up to fast and dont look for love in the wrong places. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer the story-telling style of rap over any other type of rap. I think it's important for artists listeners to be able to visualize and comprehend the artists lyrics . Story telling I believe gives a sense of reality and organization. When I'm listening to a song I like the verses to flow with each other. Story telling to me keeps an artist on topic , and it presents their purpose and message better. The examples of story telling styles used in Rap artists were perfect. Ludacris "Runaway Love" was a good example because its a story relevant in life now. I think story telling gives the audience a better chance to relate to what the artist is saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story-telling has to be one of my favorite writing styles as well. Eminem, Outkast, and Slick Rick are the best, in my opinion, in this field of expertise. R.Kelly is also up there among the greats. His "Trapped in the Closet" Saga has to be my favorite story-related songs that I've ever heard. I like how by listening to his fictional tale as Sylvester, I could easily imagine what was going on. I also respected how he was about to create a video that embodied those same visuals.

      Delete
  8. This post really sparked my interest. When I go back and think about the rap songs that I really enjoy, most tell a story. You provided great examples but "Runaway Love" is perfect. The lyrics, video, and even music tell a story. Story telling is a great way to get to know who the artist is because a lot of the time, their stories are stemming from personal experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When reading this blogpost I couldn't help but think that this era's rappers who tell stories are somewhat comparable to Homer, and other ancient story-tellers. I believe that rapping in general is a way to vent as opposed to rapping about a story. I also think that audiences can relate to the stories that the rappers are telling and that is a reason that this method of rapping is so successful and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think without a story being told in most song the listener would not relate to it as much. They would find a harder time understanding, and enjoying the music. Unless I am at an EDM concert, or some kind of club, i would rather be listening to music with a story. Makes it flow better i believe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed your blog. I liked the examples that you used video-wise. Ludacris' song was a perfect example of good story telling because of his vivid details and imagery used throughout the song. Eminem's "Stan" was also a good example to use because of his projection of his story through the video. This was just an all-round well-explained blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this post because it talks about my favorite aspect of hip hop. I think that storytelling is a very important because it is what keeps a song alive for a long period of time. I think that when artist just make music to entertain it is enjoyable but eventually most people won't be hearing these type of songs after a couple of years. However, when the artist makes a song that tells a story the song almost becomes timeless because there is always someone out there who can relate with the artist and what he or she is saying in the song.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Though this is a nice post, I would have to disagree on you for a second. In the beginning of your blog, you said girls, sex and drugs will not make a good story, when in fact, that's what most story-telling songs are about; especially is rap because this is the environment that they "grew up in". Your example, "Runaway Love" by Ludacris has all three examples in that song. This is what makes story-telling hip-hop.
    Hip-Hop is an origin of Rhythm & Blues, and all together an origin of the Blues era. Research about the first Blues singles like "Black Snake Moan" by Blind Lemon Jefferson which talks about being "horny" and how a woman better please him. And of course you will find drugs in Blues music as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how the stories that rappers tell through their music can be about their own experiences or those of others and that the story can be told in a straightforward or subliminal way. I really liked the "Runaway Love" example you used as a straightforward story, I think it goes with this blogpost perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a very interesting post, and I think that storytelling is one of the better parts of hip hop. I think Eminem is the best example of this, almost every song from his older albums is based off of a childhood experience that he had, I think today a lot of rappers are straying away from this technique a little bit, a lot of it is becoming very flashy. But there are certainly some out there like Kendrick who still hold true to that story telling aspect of rap.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading your blog post. One thing I disagree with is that sex, drugs, and other forms of "gangsta" rap don't make for good storytelling, as some of the best storytelling I've heard has been from this; an example being Meek Mill's "Tony's Story" and "Tony's Story Pt. 2" in which Meek creates a scene from his previous criminal lifestyle without any hooks or choruses, just his lyrics. I do like how you mentioned Eminem as he is one of the best storytellers in our generation's hip hop, although very violent (as seen in Eminem's "Kim). I'm also glad you pointed out Drake's ability to create stories as many tend to look over his talent in this area. Good post and examples.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey that was 10/10 blog post. I think that story telling is one of the best and most important things about hip hop. It's a crucial part of the honest factor of hip hop that attracts so many people to the genre and it really can give an accurate reflection of a life many of us know nothing about. I think Action Bronson tells stories in a unique way like the examples you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that rappers can also tell stories that are not quite as serious. They don't always need a deeper meaning behind them. Some stories are strictly to entertain and about frivolous events. Even rapping about money and girls can lead to stories. Afroman always tells weird, sexual stories that do not have a deeper meaning or any symbolism. Hip hop stories are not always all about the struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed reading your post! I agree with you in that hip-hop songs and their lyrics are great ways for artists to express themselves and the struggles they've been through. I feel like some songs, especially ones being produced today, lack a deeper message and are more focused on aspects of our materialistic society (cars, sex, drugs, money, ect). However, there are definitely still a good deal of songs that possess a deeper message, and your examples you listed were great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with your friends who said Eminem is not someone you listen to when you're in a happy mood. I listen to Eminem mostly when i'm either tired or feeling down, and it's not a way to keep me down. In fact, I feel listening to the struggles that Eminem raps about, the emotion he gives, and it makes me realize that whatever i'm down about is not that bad in the great scheme of things. Eminem's music tell stories of lost love, missing his daughters, not being able to see his daughters, drug addiction, etc. These are all things I can say that I don't struggle with and when I listen to his music, it cheers me up.

    ReplyDelete